[Greenbuilding] heat treated wood siding

John Straube jfstraube at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Nov 12 19:17:20 CST 2015

I am assuming Sacie you mean heat treated for cladding, not kiln dried or heat treated to kill bugs for shipping pallets
For those who dont know about this process google "heat treated wood cladding” and you can read about it.  It involves heating to 180-200 C/350-400F or so.  It causes a reduction in ductility, but apparently significantly enhances durability.
One technique that is a bit less controlled is to flame treat the wood and char it. Some people like the look (e.g. architects) but it is a finicky process and often run off from rain results in significant staining.
The controlled Scandinavian process of heat treating results in some excellent durable products, especially if it is painted right after (as a lot of this product apparently is). The common method is to heat in an inert gas atmosphere, but I have heard that hot oil is also used and has advantages
It seems that it is quite durable, a natural pressure treatment.