[Greenbuilding] Advice for a Rehab Newbie?

Joe Killian kaa-ajk at sonic.net
Thu Apr 28 11:34:38 CDT 2016

    I hate crawl spaces.  And so will you after doing much work in one,
even if you don't have to wend through many spider webs.  A high water
table portends crawl space moisture issues too.
    Insulated slab on grade has worked very well for me.  Put moisture
barrier underneath (Visqueen or equivalent works).
   If it's occupied all year, insulation on the perimeter down to the
footing is best.  The thermal time constant will be very long, but
you'll lose few BTU over the long haul.  An insulated break (1" foam)
between the stemwall and slab as well as insulation outside the stemwall
works well.
   If it's not occupied year-round, you'll want a shorter thermal time
constant, so would then want to insulate under the slab - again with
foam.  Keep the stemwall/footing insulation at the perimeter.  Most of
you heat loss will be out the sides near the surface, whether you have
under-slab insulation or not.

   I put very minimal pipes in the slab (ground floor drain only), and
bring all else inside and construct chases for most plumbing &
electrical.  Protects from freezing better and MUCH easier access for
any maintenance (& even initial installation).

Joe