[Greenbuilding] Decking a Boathouse Roof

Lynelle Hamilton lynelle at lahamilton.com
Wed Aug 24 23:28:27 CDT 2016

I have a boathouse on my property with a flat roof that, surprisingly.
leaks.  I would like to put a deck on the roof, as the structure is
strong enough to support it. However, I am stumped as to the best
material to use to get a durable and waterproof surface that is
walkable. My carpenter suggests rubber membrane, the styrofoam, then a
wood deck, but I have concerns about the weight, plus the weight of
folks on it. As well, maintenance might be an issue. Duradeck, etc are
seem hardly to be green alternatives. Any ideas, folks?

Many thanks in advance.

Lynelle

---