[Greenbuilding] Calculating Carbon Footprint

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 28 10:47:50 CST 2016

I doubt there are many rich folks on this list – by definition being a contributor could eliminate that demographic. Would be interesting to know what the 1% footprint would be that we are busy trying to calculate how to compensate for. The last few decades have been interesting in that is has both globalized our experience and created a demand to share that – which is both exciting as it involve both ‘travel’ and ‘appreciation’  which is thrilling - but it also dissipates the energy and learning that can build in a local environment. It is frustrating though that our experience locally sometimes doesn’t get appreciated as much as it does globally.

As you grow older you may have a family or an extended family of employees and also the people provide your materials and food that are based locally. These are the real relationships that are much more substantial than any visceral experience in travel. And typically if you are true to those needs you really don’t have much time left for being much outside your local region.

Being inside your local region means you know where to buy your supplies and for food where to buy your vegetables, where to buy your meat and how to make your budget work with those choices – because those incomes depend upon your support and ultimately your income depends upon those relationships.

I am not sure if this is germane to the discussion but thought I would throw it in.