[Greenbuilding] Septic for high water table area

Lynelle Hamilton lynelle at lahamilton.com
Wed Jul 20 21:37:30 CDT 2016

Hello all,

I'm extensively renovating a 700 sq ft cottage and will add square
footage in the process. This will require replacing the septic bed as
it: a) was constructed during the Defenbaker years; b) is insufficient
for what will be a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath home; and c)is downright ugly and
will render unusable a large chunk of a small lot.

I'm on Lake Simcoe and the the water table is high.  I've been told that
"everyone" has to install a raised bed, but a number of the updated
homes (including those that have added square footage) don't have one.
Are there alternatives to raised bed systems that will be as low tech as
possible (e.g. eliminating the need for a pump/processing system that
requires electricity and/or constatn monitoring.

I'd appreciate any thoughts folks have to offer!

Thanks,

Lynelle

---