[Greenbuilding] Question about quantifying particulate health benefits in green/Passive homes

Allison Friedman afriedman at rateitgreen.com
Tue Nov 29 20:37:23 CST 2016

I just received this inquiry through a local group I am a part of:

"I am investigating the health benefits of a Passive House level design for a typical single family home at 2,000 sf. for 4 occupants.

I would like to know for a typical 2,000 sf house what is the contributions to CO2, CH4 (Methane), N2O Nitrous Oxide, Sulfur Dioxide (SO2), Nitrogen Oxide(NOx), and the amount of Particulates over a year.

I want to be able to state that by reducing the pollutants by 90% from typical nat. gas heating system the health benefits would be _______.   I also want to explain that with PV’s and Wind the remaining 10% would eliminate the pollution for a single family home.  I want to say these are the pollution reductions and the health benefits.

My belief is that low energy homes such as Passive House and by including renewables will have a positive impact on our health and economy.  There are many secondary benefits to PH in addition to energy reduction, comfort, durability, etc.  Key to PH and renewables are the importance of reducing health problems due to pollution.  No fossil fuels will improve health similar to eliminating cigarette smoke 30 years ago.

Can someone help provide this info or point me the right direction.  Thanks."

Ideas on where to refer him would be great, thanks!

Allison

Allison Friedman
Rate It Green
www.rateitgreen.com
@rateitgreen
@MAGreenbuilding

Rate It Green is a directory, network, and information resource for the green building industry.  Through client reviews, testimonials, and candid conversations, Rate It Green helps individuals and companies find green building products and services, while also helping product manufacturers and service providers reach new clients.  Rate It Green welcomes all green builders, from beginners to seasoned experts, and for both residential and commercial projects.  Individual Membership and Basic Company Listings are FREE of charge.