[Greenbuilding] attaching 2" rigid foam

Jeff Martin jeff at open2learn.ca
Wed Nov 30 20:59:39 CST 2016

Reuben,

We've recently installed quite a bit of 2.4" EPS on the interior of a
cathedral ceiling and some side walls, to reduce thermal bridging. As
Lynelle noted, the spiral or ring shank nails with plastic washers work
well for holding the foam in place. We used 3" nails that come
pre-assembled with white plastic washers, from Ideal Security. You would
be able to use 2.5" nails. There are also metal washers available for
the purpose. They're sturdier than the plastic ones, but I haven't seen
them sold already paired with nails or screws.

When we did our installation, we just used the plastic washered nails to
hold the foam in place until strapping over it with furring strips (1 x
3s and 1 x 4s) onto which we installed the drywall. If you're going to
install the drywall directly on top of the foam board, I wouldn't trust
the plastic washers to hold everything in place over time. For your
situation, I think I would use 3" drywall screws to drive all the way
through to the studs. If you want to use glue, I'd make sure the foam
was very firmly attached, before gluing the drywall to it (if gluing
drywall without also using fasteners is allowed there). Maybe a good
quantity of 2.5" screws paired with the metal foam washers?

Out of curiosity, what kind of glue were you thinking of using for
attaching the drywall? Here (Quebec), all the fast-grab adhesives I've
seen are quite expensive and would add noticeably to the cost of
installing the drywall.

Jeff