[Greenbuilding] Advice on siting a home when the view is to the north

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Sun Oct 23 09:30:36 CDT 2016

first impressions here, but if it were my house, I'd forego the Trombe
wall--a level of complexity and expense that might not reward you with
savings, compared to say, some clerestory windows with tuned overhangs. And
I wouldn't be afraid of north facing glazing, which will collect measurable
gain from scatter radiation, and provide reasonable winter comfort if 3x
glazed, with tuned coatings and inert gases.

this arrangement could have the corollary benefit of passive cross
ventilation in summer, with low operable openings on the north side, and
operable clerestories on the south.

--aa

Alan Abrams, CPBD, AIBD
*Associate Designer Helicon Works Architects
<http://www.heliconworksarchitects.com/>*
*Certified Passive House Consultant PHIUS <http://www.phius.org/home-page>*
*Certified Professional Building Designer, American Institute of Building
Design <http://aibd.org/> *

*President, National Council of Building Designer Certification
<http://ncbdc.com/>*
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com