[Greenbuilding] innovative solution sought

Sacie Lambertson sacie.lambertson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 13:13:05 CDT 2016

old 2x4 rafters to allow for about 8" of dense pack cellulose, I've
received a number of responses.

Included is the suggestion we rebuild the roof by placing more insulation
on top and make it vented.  Am afraid this is a non starter because we
don't want to have to rebuild the existing soffits AND vented roofs are not
a good idea in an otherwise tightly built house.  Also rec. the suggestion
we sister/scab wider wood onto the 2x4s, which is exactly what I want to
avoid.

OTOH scabbing cheap plywood onto the rafters is a good idea.  We wouldn't
have to do this for every rafter nor for the full length.  Maybe we could
install cables across the scabbing to hold the netting in place after it
the dense pack cellulose has been blown in.

Welcome further comments/ideas.

Sacie