[Greenbuilding] innovative solution sought

Rob Dickinson robddickinson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 14:27:23 CDT 2016

We have a 1900 farmhouse and had the same problem with having only 2x4
rafters. They were a true 4", but still way to shallow for the insulation
levels that we wanted to achieve.

We solved it by building a parallel set of 2x4 rafters with a 4-1/2" space
between them and plywood gussets connecting the two sets of rafters. The
plywood gussets are about 4" x 12".  I called these rafter extensions, or
insulation trusses. The new depth of my rafter cavities is now 12" (or
12-1/2", I can't remember).

The space between the rafter sets provides a thermal break between them,
preventing heat from transferring via the wood framing members.  We sprayed
5" of high-density closed-cell foam against the original interior sheeting,
completely covering the old rafters and providing an additional thermal
break as well.

Then we installed about about 7" of dense-pack cellulose over the spray
foam to the edge of the rafter extensions.

The final R-value is around R-63, and the whole assembly is super air-tight.

Rob