[Greenbuilding] wall surfaces for open shower?

Stephen Collette stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca
Wed Apr 19 14:53:58 CDT 2017

Hi Reuben and all,

I love the the plastered suggestions. I have seen them both used effectively in buildings. Google them, they are beautiful and very durable.

In my century home, 1.5 story with sloped ceilings in the upstairs bathroom, when we renovated it last year I used white fibreglass panels from HD. They are 4x8 sheets, pure fibreglass, in a plastic composite feel, about 1/8” thick. They are typically used in restaurants and carwashes as I understand. My builder was able to smoothly cut them to fit the exterior wall, 2 end walls, and sloped ceiling in the shower successfully, as well as the hole cuts for the shower and tub without concerns. Everything behind it was typical approach with membranes in corners, rock board behind everything, etc. This material was simply glued in place and joints caulked. It works great. The shower is still a head banger, but we also built a new bathroom in the addition with a full sized shower, and that’s for my wife and I. It’s the kids bathroom upstairs, so the height is their problem. The shower has held up to their abuse just fine. Bumpy surface, so cleaning may be an issue if you have hard water and staining, but we are on municipal water and filter the shower head, so works great. Overall a cheap solution that works great.

Email me offline and I’ll send you some photos if you want more details.

Stephen

Stephen Collette BBEC, LEED AP, BSSO
Your Healthy House - Indoor Environmental Testing & Building Consulting
http://www.yourhealthyhouse.ca <http://www.yourhealthyhouse.ca/>
stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca <mailto:stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca>
705.652.5159