[Greenbuilding] removing paper facing from (new) fiberglass batts?

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 01:18:52 CST 2017

My local supplier of fiberglass batts has only faced batts in the sizes I'm
looking for (R19 x 23"). I've removed the paper from
batts-that-are-being-repurposed but not from new-in-the-box ones. Are there
tricks or tools for accomplishing this with a minimum of frustration?
The reason I want to do this is so I can run the batts perpendicular to
each other, half of them vertical between rafters (unfaced) and the other
half horizontal between purlins attached with hurricane ties to the rafters
(faced).
Or would it be just as good to install the faced batts and then poke a
bunch of holes in the paper before adding the second layer?

Thanks very much.