[Greenbuilding] Wood Stove Chimney Draft Inducer

conservation architect elitalking at rockbridge.net
Tue Mar 7 13:39:53 CST 2017

Hi Greenbuilding List

I am looking for advice and experiences with Wood Stove Chimney Draft Inducers.

I have a fairly tight house with a tight wood stove with outdoor air feed.  However, when starting the fire up and occasionally loading fuel while the fire is going, we will get some back draft.  Years ago I tinkered with home made draft inducer.  I did not achieve a working product. However, the other things I did to improve draft seemed to work.  I installed an air tight stove with outdoor feed.  I replaced the clay liner in chimney with stainless steel pipe and filled with masonry insulation between pipe and masonry.  My wife is becoming more sensitive to smoke.  Search for draft inducers, I can see that my concept has been developed.  My chimney draft is generally pretty good.  However, I would like to be able insure that the flow of air from the fire box always to up the chimney, even if the chimney is cold and regardless of what other pressures in the house or atmosphere are competing for the air.

Here are a few examples I found on line.
https://www.zoro.com/field-controls-draft-inducer-stainless-steel-57w-8c/i/G2470855/

http://www.fieldcontrols.com/chimney-top-draft-inducers?page_id=95

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Enervex-Chimney-Fan10Hx12W?gclid=CjwKEAiA0fnFBRC6g8rgmICvrw0SJADx1_zAElhNEqRPg6qvf_7_fCgjnlNsKxuoqGLNjbgI1h4TTBoC0Vbw_wcB

Thanks