[Greenbuilding] Photovoltaics and EMFs

Stephen Collette stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca
Wed Jun 6 14:40:22 CDT 2018

Hi Dan, David and all,

There are Building Biologists who focus on measuring and mitigating EMFs of all frequencies, including dealing with PV. I am not one of those guys. My focus is on the healthy building materials, building science, natural construction, green building, (hence hanging out with all you cool folks). I am trained in EMF inspections, but it’s not my strength. So I don’t want to talk out of my wrong orifice and give someone bad advice.

Depending on where you live in Canada and the US, there are a variety of Building Biologists who do this and are fluent in measuring and mitigating.

Another question was posted about mitigating. You simply can’t just “fix” EMFs, high or low. You need to measure before and after and oftentimes during, depending on what you are doing. Shielding and faraday cages are super dangerous and can in fact amplify exposures if not properly installed and grounded. (Geek alert! Because they can act like a ground and draw fields to them, instead of redirecting fields away from whatever it is trying to shield and protect, thereby amplifying exposure.) Again, I don’t do that because I don’t do the measuring enough to feel I can confidently help people, because it is risky, very risky. The concern is there are tons of folks out there with meters and tin foil hats making things worse. It’s no different than the hippie days of buildings with folks having a tiny clue and not enough knowledge, made crappy mould farm houses (domes anyone?). I would recommend looking for a Building Biologist who specializes in EMR testing and mitigating. I do not make any money by saying that either.

As for David’s comments of keeping things away from sleeping spaces, and sensitive folks absolutely correct. If it is a low frequency, or very low frequency field, then it is on the wiring, and that can impact whole circuits.

I hope that helps.

Stephen

Stephen Collette
BBEC, BBNC, LEED AP, CAHP, BSSO
Principal
Your Healthy House
Indoor Environmental Testing & Building Consulting
http://www.yourhealthyhouse.ca <http://www.yourhealthyhouse.ca/>
stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca <mailto:stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca>
705.652.5159