[Greenbuilding] ***SPAM*** Re: r barrier recommendations

John Straube jfstraube at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 08:25:52 CDT 2022

You do need some lateral bracing in all buildings but esp in areas that might experience high winds and earthquakes. sheet wood is a very practical solution but overkill for a modest shop.  Wood sheet siding provides lots of lateral bracing (eg T-111 or SmartSide) but lap siding is not great. Let in diagonal 1x4 used to be used a lot.

Not sure what you mean by woven vs not woven. Polymer wraps are complex muliti-layer materials and come in many versions. You should NOT use a perforated wrap or one that looks like landscape cloth (is that what you mean  by woven?). That said good long proven products like Typar and Tyvek are inexpensive (10 cents per square foot) and widely available and are absolutely sufficiently air and water tight.

Polymer underlayment are proliferating to replace #30 felt. Owens Corning ProArmor / GAF Dek-Armor etc are products that will work under metal roof and can be used over open joists with care and attention to detail.  I doubt open rafters are recommended however, but I have seen it done.

12” gap is pretty good… getting to be almost like open. Sorry I thought you were planning smaller. Clearly, 0” is one extreme, and 2” is a bit better.  But it is sooo dependent on the soil, grading, snow piling, plants that can/do grow up around etc. If you get it to 18” and provide a open lattice skirt, it starts to behave like a floor over open air. But many unknowns.
OTOH, if it is a shop, placing it on a gravel pad on insulation has benefits re rolling/driving carts and such in and out. But that is a project detail you would know about.