[Stoves] What will people pay for a stove?

Sarbagya Tuladhar sarbagya007 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 11:05:27 CST 2010

Hi Stovers,

This is all really interesting...well the whole story behind what the
users "can" pay and "will" pay is what they expect to benefit from the
stove in terms of finanicial incentives...is they are making mud
stoves out of mud they collect from the river banks and spend time
making them without having to worry about the cost, they would most
definitely reject outright any costs related to the purchase of the
stove...this happens in case the users dont have to purchase the fuel
and hence the fuel costs can be directly related to the
savings..however if the fuel they use is not purchased and is
available in plenty they would most definitely not see a direct link
to them purchasing an efficient stove...micro-finance is a way to go
for these stoves but I would most definitely like to gather ideas and
suggestions from you guys about getting the stoves to the users and
them paying for it...at the moment I am working on developing a dung
burning stove for South Nepal where the users burn cow dung...I have
been working on designing the stove and have now fabricated the MACH 1
stove which seems to work pretty well...have tried to incorporate the
TLUD principles into the design...still working on it though...any of
the stovers got any new ideas and opinions on burning of dung they can
share for the stove...would really appreciate it guys...cheers

Sarbagya Tuladhar
EWB Australia