[Stoves] What will people pay for a stove?

saibhaskar Nakka saibhaskarnakka at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 20:37:44 CST 2010

Dear Sarbagya Tuladhar,

Introduction of demand based good stoves, awareness and sensitization are
very important aspects in introduction of stoves apart from being sensitive
to affordability and willingness aspects.
The combination of statements are
People are willing but cannot afford - reasons________(failure model)
People can afford but are not willing - reasons_________(failure model)
People are willing but need subsidies and grants to afford -
reasons_______(Dependant model and non-sustainable)

Sustainability model - This is demand based adoption of good stove -
community can afford and are also willing. In this model Good Stoves would
be adopted, because best stoves are costly or community is not ready to
adopt. In the future many current best stoves become good stoves as we
always try to work on the best.

Magh 3G Good stove http://e-magh3g.blogspot.com/ is being facilitated on
demand basis to the community where both affordability and willingness of
the community is there.

As facilitators we are working on both willingness and affordability aspects
That is design of the stove, Awareness and sensitization, etc.
Through design and material - reducing the cost of stove - local production
enterprises based on local skills, community leaders for distribution of
stoves (low distribution costs),

Dr. N. Sai Bhaskar Reddy

> This is all really interesting...well the whole story behind what the
> users "can" pay and "will" pay is what they expect to benefit from the
> stove in terms of finanicial incentives...is they are making mud
> stoves out of mud they collect from the river banks and spend time
> making them without having to worry about the cost, they would most
> definitely reject outright any costs related to the purchase of the
> stove...this happens in case the users dont have to purchase the fuel
> and hence the fuel costs can be directly related to the
> savings..however if the fuel they use is not purchased and is
> available in plenty they would most definitely not see a direct link
> to them purchasing an efficient stove...micro-finance is a way to go
> for these stoves but I would most definitely like to gather ideas and
> suggestions from you guys about getting the stoves to the users and
> them paying for it...at the moment I am working on developing a dung
> burning stove for South Nepal where the users burn cow dung...I have
> been working on designing the stove and have now fabricated the MACH 1
> stove which seems to work pretty well...have tried to incorporate the
> TLUD principles into the design...still working on it though...any of
> the stovers got any new ideas and opinions on burning of dung they can
> share for the stove...would really appreciate it guys...cheers
>
> Sarbagya Tuladhar
> EWB Australia
>
> --
Dr. N. Sai Bhaskar Reddy
CEO GEO <http://www.e-geo.org> | GOOD STOVES <http://goodstove.com> | BIOCHAR
INDIA <http://biocharindia.com> | GEO
Resources<https://sites.google.com/site/geoweblinks/>
Mobile No. (+91) 9246352018 or 9505760669