[Stoves] K Smith Article in Energy for Sustainable Development

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 07:20:57 CST 2010

Dear Paal

Many thanks for those details. It is not perhaps know that I forward a lot
of information to people who write to me privately so I maintain a huge
library of technical information and usually it gets use.

It is very important that in order to bring the stove community into the
work of thermal power engineering that we learn to talk the talk and the
emissions per unit of energy are what we have to learn to sue.

Thanks for your energy used figure for the test. I will be able to use the
CO2 emitted and the total energy to calculate what the fuel probably is, and
what the emissions are per MJ. Emissions per kg are not as helpful because
you cannot compare stoves using different fuels unless it is first reduced
to energy (MK or kJ are common).

With this in mind, what does:

>PM to Cook 5L (1500      223.1

>15,000/25,000mkJ

Mean? I am not sure if the mkj figure goes with the 223.1.

223.1 milligrams?

We need the emissions stated as nnn mg/MJ. That people understand. What you
do when cooking is up to you but the emissions need to be expressed in
'normal' terms. The word normal of course means different things in
different industries. Coal burning people have a really strange set of
expressions that do not match other fuels. As we have to accommodate all
sorts of fuels, even in the same stove. In order to make meaningful
comparisons, we need the common denominators across the board.

For example the performance of a traditional Mongolian wood stove, burning
coal, gives about 300 mg/MJ of PM 1.0. (it doesn't make any PM10 and nearly
n PM2.5 either).

By very slightly changing the way the stove allows the gases to exit the
combustion chamber ($1.00) and changing the way the stove is lit to
approximate a TLUD, the emissions are reduced by 80% or more! Amazing.

When we compare the same stove burning wood and coal, we are not using the
metrics common in the emergent stove community nor the coal industry, but
the ones used in industry and science labs where energy is measured and
discussed. It is SO much easier now to make comparisons between ethanol,
wood, coal, paraffin, dung, peat and pellet burning stoves - or any fuel
combination. Interesting, neh?

Keep up the good work Paal. I have been following your work for 22 years
since I first heard about it.  It is very important that you try to
publicise the dimensions. People should not have to re-invent the "Paal"!

Best regards

Crispin in warm Ulaanbaatar (it was +2 today!)