[Stoves] K Smith Article in Energy for Sustainable Development

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun Dec 5 16:45:51 CST 2010

Paal (and 2 lists)

Thanks for the two nice responses (below) sent a few days ago. I have combined them here to improve readability. Your associate (?) Otto Formo has done a nice job of explaining the background. I hope you can add more on the charcoal output mechanism and produced-char uses (the Biochar side) - as well as the following questions.

A. The second message (almost same timing as the next) said:

Crispin

To your infomation if Dean dont' have the exact figures by hand the TLUD-ND I made at Stove Camp 2009 had the following settings.

The combustion chamber had a diameter 150mm and was 180 h

    • 55 mm free space from concentration lid up to the pot
    • 105 mm hole in concentration lid
    • 6 mm split between concentration lid and top of thee combustion chamber - 4x15mm for the stand for 2 nd air
    • 5 five mm holes 75 mm up from the bottom on the side of the combustion chamber
    • [RWL1: Was the fuel always loaded below this level? If not, then what is the need for these holes? How deep was the fuel load for the test results given below? Some of next questions apply here also depending on how high the fuel loading is/was.]
    • 5 five mm holes 25 mm up from the bottom on the side of the combustion chamber
    • [RWL2: The purpose of these I also don't understand - believing the 13 (next) could do the full job for supplying primary air (if you want to make char). I would think that secondary air entry at these holes will quickly consume all the char above them and make it harder to combust the still-upcoming pyrolysis gases from below. On the other hand, maybe this is useful in some cooking tasks (such as a water boiling test). ]
    • 13 five mm holes at the bottom plate for 1 st air
    • 15 mm space between combustion chamber an cover for preheating of 2 nd .air
    • [RWL3a: Not quite understanding this last. I'd rather see secondary air being heated as it rises rather than being drawn down - holes at the bottom for this? As for some of the first dimensions, a small cross-section diagram would be helpful on this detail. I think you show much larger dimensions for some of the air entries in the several videos listed below. Perhaps you can explain any differences and reasons for same. Which is the newer design?]

B. Few more below on your first of the two messages.