[Stoves] K Smith Article in Energy for Sustainable Development

Paal wendelbo paaw at online.no
Fri Dec 3 05:17:32 CST 2010

When I started my work on simple cooking stoves late 1980ties I did not know any thing about the concept of TLUD-ND apart from the fact we used it making smokeless fire when we stayed in the forest during the 2nd ww Illegal hunting. By coincidence, after a lot of trying and failing I happen to make a perfect simple cooking stove tested at Copenhagen Technical high school in 1988 and found completely clean burning. .It was introduced in Malawi in 1998 with stamped grass as fuel. In Mozambique in 1990, with cashew nut peals as fuel. In 1989 in Ghana, with chopped slabs as fuel. In Tanzania in 1990, in Uganda in 1994 with straw and chopped wood as fuel, where it was given the Acholi name Peko Pe (no problem), in Ethiopia with briquettes of cowdung and straw as fuel, In Senegal with compressed grownut peals as fuel. with chopped wood and in China in 2003and In Zambia 2008  with chopped wood All places the same stove locally made by local tinsmiths with the tools they had and from plane metal sheets or scrap metal sheets. All working perfect without any smoke and little soot..

At Trade Fair exhibition in Kampala 1997 we were selling 500 stoves in two days at market prise That time 5$.

At  Aprovecho Stove Camp 2009 I made one by memory of a 3  litres tin and some leftover sheets, it was tested and found clean burning and given the Kirk Smiths Award

Fuel to Cook 5L

(8 50/1500) g                   768.8

CO to Cook 5L (20)           23.0

PM to Cook 5L (1500      223.1

15,000/25,000mkJ

Energy to Cook 5L          14,807

Time to boil 5 litres min       28.1

CO2 to Cook 5L708.6        708.6

Biochar has entered the arena and made the discussion about cooking stoves a bit more interesting. And Dean Still is right when he says by TLUD-ND you can choose between energy for simmering or biochar. Just by stopping cooking process when flame is ended you will have about 150-200 gram of biochar..

            Peko Pe which mean “no problem” according to the Acholi tribe women have a problem and that is infrastructure on fuel. Fuel, stove and user is one unit which can not be separated, If you don’t have the fuel to an appropriate price you will not manage..

Fuel and stoves is a part of the social life in a community, a part of the commerce and the communication in the society..

The charcoal business is the key to a successful approach. They have the full infrastructure intact and can easy change from charcoal to alternative biomass for cooking. The local tinsmiths have the tools and the knowledge for production. They need only some guidelines, a template and customers for this simple technology.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amaUDK6VyRg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi3Xx7NtTGw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsfuVGBi4fc&feature=related

With regards Paal W paaw at online.no