[Stoves] Drawing down the dung pile

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 07:42:42 CST 2010

Dear AD

I think we much ask Frank to comment on this.

Frank can you test calorific value? If not I will try to get the power
station in UB to test for HHV, ash, volatiles and report this week.

Kevin - what washes out? It is probably not a matter of fuel conservation as
much as making a workable device. It would be nice to use as little fuel as
possible (fertilizer) but far more important to use wasted fuel for a useful
purpose.

Frank, what is the CN content of washed v.s. unwashed dung?

Thanks

Crispin

Dear Crispin,

dung cakes are regularly used as fuel even in India. In areas where the
rainfall is scanty, and there are no trees, dung is used as the main cooking
fuel. In the high Himalaya, above the tree line, yak dung is the only fuel
available to the locals. The ash content of dung is normally very high. In
the case of animals eating mainly grass, the ash would consist mainly of
silica. I have heard of a of filter press, which can remove the water from
the dung along with the dissolved minerals. This would leave a product with
a higher calorific value.  It can be briquetted and sold as a standard fuel.

Yours

A.D.Karve

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:47 AM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott