[Stoves] reply to Otto and other re WorldStove emissions testing and dung

Nat of WorldStove nataniele at aim.com
Tue Dec 7 09:23:43 CST 2010

Dear Otto,
You were not the only one "surprised to hear that [we] do not do any testing of [our] stoves" for we test all of our products.
Over the years we have developed a series of stringent, in-house testing parameters and the fact that we adhere to these
is one of the reasons WorldStove was able to become certified as a carbon offset.  (see www.measurableoffsets.com)

What we do not do however, is publish the results of our in-house testing.  We do this not for any need to keep secret,
but because we feel strongly that to avoid any question of bias no stove producer should ever provide emissions data
that they have generated about their stove, or any one else’s stove.

Instead we do as the, appliance industry does, and have our results verified by external certified certification labs.
These data, we do make public as anyone who has ever attended a conference where I or another member of the
WorldStove team has presented can attest.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

Nat

p.s. as for dung one of our
earliest videos shows the dung cycle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pBPRnAh7lw  .  In
our field trials over the past three years we have been wintering over dung in
open plots to allow many of the nutrients to transfer to the soil and decrease
the ammonia content of the dung prior to compressing it for use in the stoves.
We have found that some of the componets of the stove required ceramics to
avoid the shortened stove lifespan caused by the corrosive effects of using
dung as a fuel.  In some counties we
have also found that dung was such a taboo that despite its potential as a fuel
we, out of respect for local traditions, were obliged to tune our stoves to other
locally available waste feedstocks.

Message: 4