[Stoves] When does a test end?

psanders at ilstu.edu psanders at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 15 11:17:31 CST 2010

Dear Crispin and all,

Yes, we need to discuss such topics.

No, the quantification of    "when 95% of the combustion portion of
the fuel has burned"    leaves unanswered questions.  In the TLUDs, we
run them until about 100% (maybe 98.9%  ;-)   ) of the pyrolytic gases
are released and consumed.  But there is about 20% by weight (or about
30% by energy) remaining in the form of charcoal created.

Any testing protocols need to allow for such characteristics.  Why
stop at 95% and/or why require combustion all the way to 95% ash??

It will be great seeing you in DC in January (and at ETHOS also, I suspect.)

Paul