[Stoves] [biochar] Capturing carbon in the timber industry

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 11:59:17 CST 2010

Dear Tom

The continuing interest continue to give me hints. What I have read (mostly
from Japanese trials) indicates the results are there but spotty. There is
no way to quantify 'and increase' in a general sense. For the amount of
money and effort there are alternatives.

+++++++++

Crispin,

Benefits tend to be specific to soils and circumstances. There has been lots
of research by forest soil scientists in the US West in recent years
(Montana, Idaho, Oregon). I know of a couple of private companies that are
doing field trials.

The best documentation for the benefits of char is referenced on the website
of the International Biochar Initiative (www.biochar-international.org). We
also have considerable information at www.biochar.bioenergylists.org

Several biochar-in-forest-soil papers have been presented at the many
regional, national and international biochar, agronomy and soil science
conferences.

Tom