[Stoves] 4 pictures for you

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Sun Dec 26 14:48:15 CST 2010

Crispin,
True no real numbers on the SEDORE stove out of Eastern Canada but you have to admit the design is very clever.

From what I can gather, it is front vented & top loaded but in refreshing the fuel from the top door, it of course gets a charge of air from that direction too. He advises to hold the top door open a bit to let a draft build up in the flue though. In the main, it looks like an enclosed side draft device with a vertical baffle separating the hopper from the combustion chamber and flue.  I had a friend in Ashland by the name of Paul Runquist, who as way ahead of his time on the same idea but who created a very modern looking design. He had also incorporated a bread oven into the flue as well...

Intersting idea as it seems to support the growing consensus  that you burn only what you need at the moment, replenishing it continuously, whether wood, pellets or briquettes, whether bottom loaded , side fed or even top loaded (albeit with a downdraft into an adjacent combustion chamber).

Cheers,

Richard

PS Greg, pls pass on to Paul..