[Stoves] 4 pictures for you

Dick Gallien dickgallien at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 21:42:02 CST 2010

Thanks for responding Crispin,
I fished for suggestions on the biochar list, but haven't felt good enough
to start anything on the big tank.  The 10' dia.X 8' tank, when starting the
brush fire in the bottom and adding, for 6 hrs. before capping, charred much
better when in the ground than above.  One reason was that when in the
ground, all air was cut off, except for a 3" hole in the cap.  The cover was
too hot to touch for 4 weeks and still alive, when removed with the backhoe.
 That is too slow, when the heat is wasted, but would be interesting to
track the heat, in the 30' tank in winter, if one started a brush fire at
the base and added regularly for 12+ hrs., before capping.

The original dream was a gasifier, with the O starved gases piped into the
boiler, with hot secondary air added, as it entered the boiler.  That
would've been expensive, would've involved the state boiler inspector and
was before I had heard of biochar.

I'm sure Tom has read my rambles.  Over 90% of tree waste in this area is
torched, including at municipal compost sites, mostly because the cost of
chipping, grinding or transporting is prohibitive.  If anyone has any
suggestions, no matter how wild or is into grant writing, I'm listening.
 Thanks,  Dick

Dick Gallien
22501 East Burns Valley Road
Winona  MN  55987
dickgallien at gmail.com  [507]454-3126
www.thefarm.winona-mn.us

It is almost a miracle that modern teaching methods have not yet entirely
strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for what this delicate little plant
needs more than anything, besides stimulation, is freedom
Albert Einstein