[Stoves] Rules for making and applying biochar to soil

frank frank at compostlab.com
Tue Nov 2 12:23:07 CDT 2010

Greetings Stovers,

FYI;  I was wondering what would be the rule for turning biosolids
(sewage solids) into biochar and applying to ag soil. Below is the
correspondence:

The 503 rules for metals used for compost and biosolids and any product
containing biosolids is as follows regarding testing (there are other
rules):
Arsenic 41, Cadmium 39, Chromium 1200, copper 1500, Lead 300, Mercury
17, Molybdenum 75, Nickel 420, selenium 36 and zinc 2800.  All mg/kg dry
weight.

 From EPA guide to part 503 Rule 29

http://water.epa.gov/scitech/wastetech/biosolids/503pe_index.cfm

There are rules for incinerating biosolids that are very strict and
costly beyond belief. Because we stop short of turning it into ash it
seems we are exempt. - for now!  Look at chapter four.

The reason I am looking into this is because I think turning biosolids
into biochar may eliminate a lot of problems like medical waste,
disease, mad cow (bovine spongiform encephalopathy), smell, icky factor
etc. There will be no ash to deal with because we stop short of
producing it so much of the nutrients will still be in the final product
and plant available. Tipping fees could make this profitable. But I
suspect if this happens the air quality board will be all over it making
new rules (some good / some bad).

Frank

Hi Frank,

I believe that is correct - the char is not "ash" from an incinerator
(which is excluded from 503), so it would be subject to land application
requirements.  The incineration requirements in 503 subpart E wouldn't
apply if the process is not combustion using oxygen.  Emissions would be
regulated at the local air district level.  I'll check with HQ and let
you know if I find out anything different.

Lauren

Lauren Fondahl
Biosolids Coordinator, Clean Water Act Compliance Office
US EPA Region 9
415 972-3514