[Stoves] Oversized stoves / thermal insulation

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 16:29:26 CST 2010

On Tuesday 09 November 2010 13:31:40 Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:
> Dear Andrew
>
> Now this is interesting:
> >A good diesel fuel will apparently have a short diffuse flame before
> > it
>
> becomes sooty, petrol longer and meths longer still.
>
> That is in relation to the H:C ratio. Got any thoughts about that?

Not really though it seems the lighter fractions have a lower flash point
and high octane (resist detonation) and the heavier oils with more carbon
enjoy a high flash point, lower autoignition temperature which gives a
good cetane rating ( they ignite readily in a compressionignition, char
actually has a low autoignnition temperature.

To add to that many things can be added to fuels to modify or suppress
effect e.g. tetraethyl lead or MBTE to resist pinking.

One thing I find is that plastic with benzene rings ( styrenes etc) smoke
with very short flames and indeed if you recall the discussion some time
back about lamps fuelled by pine resins which were very smoky then you
will appreciate that styrene was fist isolated from resins.

BTW what are the inside and outside temperatures in these UB gers? I'm
quite surpised that 4kW is enough to be comfortable in shirtsleeves (I'
wearing a fleece it's about 8C outside and 18 in and the stove is just
hot enough to touch after burning about 2kg of ash logs.

AJH