[Stoves] Oversized stoves / thermal insulation

Boll, Martin Dr. boll.bn at t-online.de
Tue Nov 9 16:33:27 CST 2010

Crispin and Andrew,

Crispin, you told, that the good-isolated gers need a 4kw stove. It would
work with small commercial stoves, but as you say, this is difficult for
low-cost stoves, or for well working coal-stoves.

What about a sunken- or partly-sunken stove? That would make a similar
effect as a masonry-stove you mentioned (e.g. the Kachelofen in Bavaria
often used is like that) with big mass-ducts. But these stoves need a lot of
space. which is not in a ger.

In such sunken stoves, earth would staple big quickly delivered heat and
then release it slowly.

I find your and Andrew’s discussion about flame-length and higher
burn-temperature of sooth-particles very interesting!

It hits the often found problem of soothing, which I felt is somehow too
much cool air.

Andrew, the condensing water is a long-time and too few respected aspect.
Yes, the non-isolated windows, were a good water-condenser, without growing
funghi. In combination with a big surface/mass –stove it was not so bad as
mostly said. The need of holding all the circulating heating-water above
freeze-point in all walls of all rooms of a modern house is not
energy-saving. When all the thermal-isolation is calculated in fuel units,
there is a lot of fuel that could warm one or two rooms for years with a
simple stove. And the electricity used for air-changing,/ de-hydratation is
another point to calculate with.

-------------

It turns round in my head  for a long time, where to isolate a
burning-chamber in order to save heat for good burning and where to gain
heat in the curse of the combustion (and in what possible amount! !)

to pre-warm secondary air.

There is another interesting aspect of stove downsizing: The cooling effect
of too big sized fuel in comparison with the heat power of the stove.

Thereby I thought about isolating the burning-chamber as well as about a
good pre-warming of the fuel before ignition. –The problem of wet fuel must
be solved in advance, or even by pre-warming.

I think I must do some simple tests of pre-warming fuel to get an impression
about the effect. I think to pre-heat wood about nearly to 100°C. By small
wood could that make a good effect for easy ignition.

Regards

Martin