[Stoves] Anila Stove

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 23:38:21 CST 2010

Dear Ray

My initial response is that you have created a self-heating retort and it
look a bit grim for the future of the layout. The main advantage of the TLUD
process is that the fuel is pretty much not heated during the time it is not
supposed to be burning. A number of features lead be to the conclusion but
basically any time you have heat being directed to the whole fuel mass,
there are going to be problems.

The pyrolization rate of the fuel is supposed to be sort of continuous. If
you change something fundamental about the fuel which it is waiting for its
chance to burn, like heating it by 300 degrees, there is no chance of
getting a continuous or continuously variable burn. The addition of extra
air with the fan is only partially compensating for the problem. Yes you can
burn the extra gas but there is a fundamental problem deeper in the system
which is that the fuel is being roasted ahead of its time.

It may help to think of the stove as a continuous process where new fuel
could at least theoretically be introduced, by magic if necessary. In this
way you force yourself to consider how the fuel is stored, heated, ignited,
and then the ash disposed of. Then take a step back and stop the refuelling
process and think only of the batch in hand.

The TLUD is usually (but not always) a non-refuellable device - a batch
device. OK, that is the choice. But it operates as if it was a continuous
process during the burn, let's say, 'while the fuel in the batch lasts' it
is a continuous process.

I hope this helps. I would be interested to hear from Paul Anderson if he
has time to look it over. My last gasp is that you might be able to use the
layout by severely limiting the primary air to see if it prevents
overheating. Give it a shot. Block almost everything and see what happens.
It might remain more stable and you may be very happy with the result.