[Stoves] Anila Stove

Ray Menke ray.menke at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 12:53:14 CST 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at gmail.com> wrote:

> My initial response is that you have created a
>self-heating retort and it
> look a bit grim for the future of the layout.
Well, it might not be that bad, as I could always use it as a retort
at the focal point of my Helios Solar Concentrator to do destructive
distillation of wood.  My blogs for that are at:
<http://www.solarfire.org/Texas-2010>

I did a few more google searches and found that 2500 Anila's have been
produced to date:
<http://biocharinnovation.wordpress.com/>
November 2, 2010 by Sarah Carter
Recent communications with Sumuki Associates, Mysore, India – the
manufacturer of the Anila stove confirmed that over 2500 units have
been produced to date. The engineering operation is equipped with all
the equipment for the manufacture of stoves, and is capable of
fulfilling bulk orders. Since raw materials have increased in costs
since the stove was invented, large orders are required to keep
production cost effective (pers comm C.S. Ramaswami).

> you might be able to use the
> layout by severely limiting the primary air to see if it prevents
> overheating. Give it a shot. Block almost everything and > see what happens.
Check out this link:
<http://africaclimate.org/2009/01/06/carbon-cycle-and-anila-stove/>
 The design/illustration here courtesy of Folke Gunther shows how to
build the stove.  My grate or cone at the bottom was built like the
one shown, using perforated steel, but I'll build another grate/cone
with far fewer holes.  This seems to be a solution also in the next
link.
In testing shown here:
<http://www.bioenergylists.org/content/testing-anila-stove-0>
"Without wanting to change the design too much from the original
plans, the following changes were deemed necessary –
- Adding a mud seal around the base join
- Increasing pan height
- Blocking 50% of holes."

> It might remain more stable and you may be very happy with the result.
I hope so.  Getting these stoves to work is not an easy task,
although Paul Anderson's Champion stove that I built using a helium
bottle works very well, every time, for the last 18 months.  (I must
have really "lucked out"!.)
Regarding the Anila stove: from this link:
<http://biocharinnovation.wordpress.com/07-stove-designs/the-anila-stove/>
C.S.Ramaswamy Says on October 30, 2010: |
"I was the man who fabricated and developed the anila stove for
Mr.U.N.Ravikumar of Mysore University. I am an design and development
engineer and having a workshop. We have put in 2 years of work for
perfecting the anila stove. These stove were manufactured and sold
through Mr.Ravikumar in India as well as foreign countries."

Well, I will head out to the shop to cut out a new grate/cone with
fewer and smaller holes that will restrict the air.   Also, I want to
try insulating the whole propane tank by circling it with the lower
half of a 55 gallon steel barrel filled with batts of fiberglass.
This can then be used to support proper sized pot shields for my
larger water heating pots.

Many thanks for your comments,

--
Ray  Menke