[Stoves] RE : Subject: What is your best charcoal stove?

Xavier Brandao xvr.brandao at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 09:29:46 CST 2010

Thanks for your answers!
To Vetle
"there are wide range of fuel efficient charcoal stoves around the world
that are great in all kind of ways", that's the problem, there must be one
or two that emerge among the others?
Yes, it is the dilemma : should we reduce the consumption of old, dirty
energy, or propose a new clean energy?
We made the choice to work on reducing the consumption of charcoal. As I see
it, in Benin, introducing a cheap and very efficient stove would be a
commercial success very quickly. I am not sure the market would welcome as
fast and widely a briquette technology, it would take time. In my opinion,
on the short and middle run, CO2 emissions would be more impacted by a stove
project rather than a briquette project. Stove use is well anchored in
Beninese habits. But on the long run, yes, briquettes are the future. So it
is a tough choice, but perhaps we could introduce the stoves first, and the
briquettes shortly after ... We have still to think about all that.
Then the best would be a charcoal stove which is "briquette friendly" :)
To Crispin
Yes, introducing a new charcoal cooking stove is what we'd like to do. If it
worked in a country, it is better than if it is just a prototype. Since we
are not engineers, we are not willing to get our hands dirty by testing
complicated heat transfer principles on a stove :)
But that would be great if you could please send me what you have on this
stove, I am also interested to read the results of cooking tests if you have
any!
Many thanks!

Xavier Brandao

(+229) 66 37 89 59