[Stoves] RE : Subject: What is your best charcoal stove?

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 11:17:36 CST 2010

Dear Xavier

You must get your priorities right in order to succeed. I understand that you want an existing design that already works. No problem. Also that you are probably restricted to metal if you want the existing producers to produce them.

I think you mentioned the Pulamusa. That is a metal knock-off of the Poca - the Maputo Ceramic stove. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the Pulamusa is not optimised yet and is not as easy to make as an improved Dakar Malgache.  Further, the Malgache is already known in your area so changing it is easy.

As to CO2, don't worry about it - biomass is CO2 neutral. Something you can offer instead is rapid lighting using a metal cone - a sort of advanced version of the common round tube. Peter Coughlin, producer of the Poca, has had signal success with it. It greatly reduces smoke.

To improve a Malgache you make a second inverted pyramid and mount it above the one that usually holds the charcoal. The space between then should be 12mm or so.  16mm for a large one. The lower edge of the upper (new) square cone should meet the grate in such a way that air can pass dowards between the cones and get into the open space under the grate. You can accomplish that any way you like.

Then make a door that seal well. Put the door on so it covers the open side of the lower section of the stove. The door should have a simple latch because it remains closed most of the time.

When lighting, open the door and use the cone as an accelerator. When lit, close the door. Air enters between the two square 'cones' that form the tray holding the charcoal. The air goes under the grate then up through it.

This preheats the air and reduces the volume of flow.

The result is a fuel saving and reduced emissions, increased efficiency and a longer, higher temperature  burn.

Regards
Crispin in Singapore for 1 more minute.