[Stoves] K Smith Article in Energy for Sustainable Development

Otto Formo formo-o at online.no
Mon Nov 29 11:30:28 CST 2010

Dear Ron and all,
I hope you have had the chance to look at the videos linked to you from You Tube and then you will see that Paal was introducing the "GrassBurner" in 1994 in Uganda.

About biochar, we have found it more easy to handle after the residue are made into pellets, not "only" because it burns so cleanly in the TLUD ND Gaisifier Unit.
Pellets made out of pinewood also gives a compact and clear surface of the char with a minimum of waste and dust.
This will make it easier to transport and spread in the field thinking about coaldust and silicosis.
One type of fuel (pellets), preferable made out of agri-residue, for one type of stove (TLUD`s), can it be more easy?

According to scientist working on biochar, the agriwaste gives the best or most suitable biochar for cornfields, but also smaller quantities than wood.

We still prefer to use the forest and agri-residue as Household Energy, until further notice............

Otto