[Stoves] CO monitoring seeking practical analogues in local testing methods for the 90% of the rest of us

frank frank at compostlab.com
Thu Oct 14 17:29:31 CDT 2010

Richard and all,
<snip>

Richard Stanley wrote:

> Sure you have the meters and the manufactured brands out there in the
> industrialised nations,  but is it first not impossible to find an
> local indicator --a plant, an  insect,  common chemicals, selected
> local biota and / or other naturally occurring indicators of basic
> levels of CO emissions in the "safe"--"risky"--- "critical" range for
> human exposure? (the analogues can be developed through local
> institutional testing and calibration to their instrumentation later on...

Are Fruit flies everywhere?  With a bucket of fermenting Jerusalem
Artichokes in the lab we were quickly over run with them. Placing a few
in a clear 500 cc  Solo Plastic cup and injecting in a known amount of
CO. Report both time and concentration when they die might work. Gas
pulled from a stream of CO from a tank using a gas syringe and injected
through the wall of the cup.  We need to see if it kills them at
concentrations we can use. But I don't see someone sitting and staring
at the fruit flies all night! Still need a buzzer.

fes

Frank Shields
Soil Control Lab
42 Hangar way