[Stoves] CO monitoring seeking practical analogues in localtesting methods for the 90% of the rest of us

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 12:12:38 CDT 2010

Dear Richard,
When CO combines with haemoglobin, the CO-haemoglobin complex has a
different colour than normal haemoglobin. I am quite sure that there are
other chemicals too that bind with CO and I feel that it is quite posible to
devise a paper strip that turns its colour when exposed to CO.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 6:29 AM, frank <frank at compostlab.com> wrote:

> Richard and all,
> <snip>
>
> Richard Stanley wrote:
>
> Sure you have the meters and the manufactured brands out there in the
>> industrialised nations,  but is it first not impossible to find an local
>> indicator --a plant, an  insect,  common chemicals, selected local biota and
>> / or other naturally occurring indicators of basic levels of CO emissions in
>> the "safe"--"risky"--- "critical" range for human exposure? (the analogues
>> can be developed through local institutional testing and calibration to
>> their instrumentation later on...
>>

> Are Fruit flies everywhere?  With a bucket of fermenting Jerusalem
> Artichokes in the lab we were quickly over run with them. Placing a few in a
> clear 500 cc  Solo Plastic cup and injecting in a known amount of CO. Report
> both time and concentration when they die might work. Gas pulled from a
> stream of CO from a tank using a gas syringe and injected through the wall
> of the cup.  We need to see if it kills them at concentrations we can use.
> But I don't see someone sitting and staring at the fruit flies all night!
> Still need a buzzer.
>
> fes
>
> Frank Shields
> Soil Control Lab
> 42 Hangar way
> Watsonville, CA  95076
> (831) 724-5422 tel
> (831) 724-3188 fax
> frank at compostlab.com
> www.compostlab.com

> http://www.bioenergylists.org/
> Stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)

*Please change my email address in your records to: adkarve at gmail.com *