[Stoves] MUST CHARCOAL BE A CAUSE FOR CONCERN?

Jeff Davis jeff0124 at velocity.net
Sat Oct 16 21:31:41 CDT 2010

Dear Dr. Karve,

A plant may indeed absorb minerals from the ground. For example, the
Dandelion has a tap root that grows below the top soil and is claimed to
absorb minerals/nutrients. I would think that at this level there is
less microbe activity. It is also claimed that, because of this, it
helps to enrich the surrounding plants and top soil. At least some trees
also have a tap root, possible the apple tree. But I still tend to
believe that the plants use both direct and indirect nutrient
absorption.

I also do not advocate compost because it doesn't persist in the top
soil and for that reason I favor humus. You mention acid, humus has
humic acid. It's also well know that sugar does indeed help to fuel the
top soil. I would also guess that sugar would help to save the organic
material whether it be compost or humus because the microbes would feed
on the sugar before the organic material. I could also speculate that if
the top soil was built up, so to speak, that the addition of sugar would
keep it going at it's present rate. I would also guess that some of the
crop residue would also end up back in the top soil. It's well know by
marijuana growers that adding molasses to the soil is a big help. People
have even used Coke drink but because molasses has the trace mineral
from the plant it works better. Also, like humic acid, molasses is a
chelating agent so nutrients can be absorbed directly. I think Schultz
Garden Safe Liquid Plant Food is molasses with a big price tag.

It is also my belief and personal observation that plants still need top
soil. If I remove the top soil, which has happen, plants do very poorly
if they grow at all. And if I added sugar to the clay hard pan left it
would be washed away with the next rain fall. The humus in the top soil
has too many functions to list here, from absorbing water, sugar and air
etc. etc..

I have also grown plants in pure humus/compost and they only performed
average. By far my best results were where the two are mixed together as
found in nature. No chemical fertilizers or pesticides, great yield,
less weeds and easy tilling. Almost hands off growing. But then one
could become quite lazy and find hobbies to pass the time.

Yes, food waste is good digester feedstock where cow manure can have a
low gas production but of course other animal manures can have higher
yields than cow manure.

So much to write about that it's frustrating but here we write emails
not books.

Best regards,

Jeff