[Stoves] MUST CHARCOAL BE A CAUSE FOR CONCERN?

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 03:31:50 CDT 2010

Dear Kevin,
our housewives normally use stoves in which wood is pushed into the
firebox through an opening at the base of the stove. In such a case, they
like to burn large diameter wood, because the large piece of wood needs only
to be given an occasional shove to push it deeper into the firebox. Also, by
pulling the log partially out of the firebox, they can reduce the intensity
of fire. In a TLUD stove one needs smaller pieces. Stalks of cotton or
pigeon pea are available free of cost to farmers who grow these crops. These
stalks are relatively thin and easy to break horizontally even with bare
hands. However the TLUD stove with natural draft is not popular as a stove
for cooking. Most people use it for heating bath water, because this stove,
once it has started, does not need any further tending. With a single
load, this stove can heat about 10 to 15 litres of water to a temperature of
about 50C, without paying any further attention to it.
Yours
A.D.Karve