[Stoves] Attempt to decipher political narrative of Clinton announcement

Lloyd Helferty lhelferty at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 23 14:37:55 CDT 2010

  Nick,

   The easiest place to find all of this information and answer your
questions is by visiting their website, which looks like it has been
very well prepared (probably in the works for weeks/months prior to the
announcement -- they even have the site translated into Spanish and
Chinese).
see: Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves:

www.cleancookstoves.org <http://www.cleancookstoves.org>

Click on the TABS at the top: *Overview, The Alliance, Resources *and
*About Us*
There is extensive information there.  They are especially interested in
learning about corrections, suggestions, and the usefulness of the web site.
You can reach them at Email: cookstoves at unfoundation.org
or Phone: (202) 419-3221 and they should be able to answer your questions.

Especially check out the *Goals* page:
"The global work will include establishing industry standards, spurring
large-scale innovative financing mechanisms, championing the cause
across the donor and development communities, developing indoor
air-quality guidelines, addressing global trade and tariff barriers,
field-testing cleaner stoves and fuels, laying out a groundbreaking
research roadmap, and implementing a consensus agenda across key
sectores (e.g., health, climate, technology, and fuels).

The targeted market work will include creating local stove testing and
design centers, developing local financing tools to facilitate the
marketing and scale of stoves and fuels, capacity development, reducing
or eliminating local market barriers such as import tariffs,
implementing major public awareness campaigns on the benefits of using
improved stoves, and rigorous monitoring and evaluation."

Lloyd Helferty, Engineering Technologist

   Principal, Biochar Consulting (Canada)
   www.biochar-consulting.ca
   603-48 Suncrest Blvd, Thornhill, ON, Canada
   905-707-8754; 647-886-8754 (cell)
      Skype: lloyd.helferty
   Steering Committee member, Canadian Biochar Initiative
   President, Co-founder&  CBI Liaison, Biochar-Ontario
     Advisory Committee Member, IBI
   http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1404717
   http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42237506675
   http://groups.google.com/group/biochar-ontario