[Stoves] Feed Chamber Opening, was Re: Stoves Digest, Vol 8, Issue 11

Andrew C. Parker acparker at xmission.com
Fri Apr 8 23:46:21 CDT 2011

If I remember correctly, the feed chamber opening for a rocket stove is a
function of the desired output, not the size of the fuel wood.  One of the
stated benefits of the rocket stoves need for small diameter fuel is that
there is no need to cut down the entire tree for firewood.  As Xavier
mentioned, another hospital was supplied with smaller diameter wood that
fit the stove.  I suppose that this underscores the need to thoroughly
examine the existing behavior, politics and infrastructure of the client,
and, if it is obvious that there will be no willing changes, to choose an
improved stove that will be a more appropriate fit.  The rocket stove is
not the only solution available.

Having said that, based on this study from Aprovecho, ROCKET STOVES –
CONTROLLING DRAFT (Variations in chimney height and air flow openings in a
modified “rocket stove”.), by Damon Ogle, August 17, 2002, I have wondered
if a rocket stove could be designed that controlled flue gas velocity with
a choke at the top of the chimney (perhaps introducing preheated secondary
air at that point, as with some gasifying stoves).  The sizing of the feed
chamber opening may then not be such a critical factor.  Was there
follow-up to that study at Aprovecho?

Andrew Parker (Not AJH)