[Stoves] Feed Chamber Opening

Xavier Brandao xvr.brandao at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 04:28:50 CDT 2011

Andrew said: "If I remember correctly, the feed chamber opening for a rocket
stove is a function of the desired output, not the size of the fuel wood."
Yes the size of the rocket elbow, of the feed chamber and of the whole
rocket stove go up as the size of the pot goes up. So proportions are
respected.
There is a range of 7 combustion chambers covering all pot sizes. So there
are 7 sizes for the feed chamber opening: 22 X 22 cm, 20 X 20, 18 X 18, 16.5
X 16.5, 15 X 15, 12 X 12, 11 X 11. Even the biggest one doesn't allow big
logs use, users will have to chop wood.

"to choose an improved stove that will be a more appropriate fit.  The
rocket stove is not the only solution available."
Then which one? Almost all the institutional stoves I know are based on the
rocket technology. The Justa stove, the Rocket Lorena, the Rocket mud stove,
the institutional brick stove made by GTZ, and also, I think, the LEGO stove
have a small opening for wood. Even the Lion Stove has a 16.5 x 11 cm
opening, and the Esperanza, couldn't find any technical info, seems to have
a small opening. Could you please give me example of other stoves?

"another hospital was supplied with smaller diameter wood that fit the
stove."
For now yes, let's hope they don't change supplier.

I am not sure this issue appears with domestic stoves. Some of the
institutions use a great deal of wood, it is then more practical to deliver
them big logs than a very big number of small logs. Now, unimproved smoky
institutional stoves still have an advantage over improved stoves, their big
opening. They shouldn't have any advantage.

This is a message to Tom Miles: by the way, I just realised there was no
category on Bioenergylist for Institutional stoves. I think there is a need
for a centralized place on the web where all relevant information on stoves
for institutions can be found. Bioenergylist seems the most appropriate
since everything about stoves is to be found there already. I did spend some
time and efforts searching for institutional rocket stoves I could build,
collecting reports and info drop by drop, and I'm sure I miss a few good
info.

Xavier

Message: 6