[Stoves] [ Misuderstanding of TLUD stoves Re: Refuelable TLUD

Thomas Reed tombreed2009 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 10:59:13 CDT 2011

Dear Ron and List:

Ron's remark is well taken and I'll add a little more.

I have been making a LOT of charcoal using the PYROMID method:  Stack up a
lot wood (as from cutting up a brush pile for instance) in a DENSE pyramid,
any size.  Use tinder to light the apex of the pyramid at the top.

The reaction zone will quitely ignite layer after layer with the upper
layers of charcoal protected from burning by the expanded layer of
deoxygenated ("dephlogisticated") gas rising by natural convection. Avoid
windy days that would blow the protective gas sideways.

Stand by with a hose of watering cans to wet any char that extends beyond
the protection and to put out the whole pile when done.  After you think
it's out, think again because small embers can hide and come alive again.

We are having a big charcoal roast near Amherst April 28th at 4 PM.

Tom Reed

Pyrologist