[Stoves] Punching holes in Hiram Cook's little stoves

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 08:07:47 CDT 2011

Dear Friends

I am repeating a site brought to our attention by Nat a couple of years ago.
It is a great your of TLUD's made by Hiram Cook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hxjWg6eKV0
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hxjWg6eKV0&feature=player_embedded>
&feature=player_embedded

There is a lovely tool for punching holes that he shows near the end of the
video which is a very useful, manual device for making holes in cans.

This tool is available in other sizes. By that I mean it can be purchased
with deeper throats and longer levers for punching holes farther from the
edge of the can, or larger diameter, or thicker material. For producers of
prototypes or small production runs this is a great tool.

Products such as http://www.sheetmetalequip.com/newequipment/tpunch.htm have
a dozen 'stations' with lots of hole sizes on a single machine, but are
limited to punching flat plates (which would then be rolled). Not so cheap
or versatile though amazingly useful when prototyping or manufacturing from
scratch.

For large holes there is another type of tool
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/345107446/Manual_punch_driver.html that is
often used to make openings in cabinets (because it can deal with thicker
material).

Regards

Crispin in Waterloo