[Stoves] Country by Country Project List?

Xavier Brandao xvr.brandao at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 06:28:06 CDT 2011

Erin,

Thanks for your message. Since I discovered HEDON database, I think we do
not need anymore to build a database from scratch, it already exists and is
pretty good.

I think we could continue to give opinion, and even help HEDON people if
they agree, to enrich and improve the database. Perhaps the actions would be
to:
- add new useful categories of info, like the ones you mentionned
- add new info, within the new and old categories
- update information, maybe by asking a participative updating from
designers and project leaders, like an email remembering them to update
every 6 or 10 months, I don't know. I guess HEDON people already have a way
to do it.
- make the database more visible: on HEDON website, but also display it on
the Global Alliance site, the bioenergylist...

But soon raises the question: how to do it efficiently, without spending too
much time and money, and who will do it and pay for it?

Here I think Jan got a point, the Global Alliance is apparently defining its
prerogatives, is willing to be an organisation at the forefront of the stove
field. It is probable they can dedicate a substantial budget to run the
database, and a team of IT people. On the other hand, the team at HEDON is
experienced with stoves. And like you don't market stoves like you market
other products, I guess you don't organise stove info when you don't know
about them. So maybe the team of fresh IT people newly recruted by the
Global Alliance could be managed by an experienced stover from HEDON or
bioenergylist. But I don't see any reason why the Global Alliance couldn't
do the job.
And since taking care of a database is an ambitious project, it is a good
thing an organisation with both money and paid people would be in charge of
the task.

So the wheel should not be reinvented, but made more roundish. Maybe the
database work could be handed out to the Global Alliance. And HEDON and
bioenergylist would keep showing a link to it on their respective websites.
The Global Alliance should also link to the bioenergylist, since in my
opinion, we have here another database, a database of news on stoves and
interesting and high-level discussions on technical aspects.

What is the opinion of the HEDON people on that?

As for me I have limited IT knowledge and I lack money, but well, I am
willing to help in any way I can.

Cheers,

Xavier