[Stoves] ===REFW: Fire Stump / stump-incuts

Fireside Hearth firesidehearthvashon at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 2 10:38:34 CDT 2011

Good morning Crispin,

          The description of the test at Omni Labs in Portalnd included the following.
First is a "destructive limit" test which is where they will fill my stove to capacity with dimensional lumber scrap (2 x 4 doug fir) with only 6% moisture content, and burn it full open to satisfy U.L. listing requirements having to do with safety. The next phase would be to load the unit with more of the same fuel from a coal bed and run the stove at my recomended air controll settings so as to simulate actual field use settings. During this phase all emissions will be collected, wieghed, and analized for content. They also at this point be using hundreds of thermocouples in the "cage" to determine clearance to combustibles.
          As you stated in a past e-mail, The testing is not completely generic......or shall I say that they did tell me they would have to alter their test methods to accomodate my product. They did feel they had the leverage to do this and still be within EPA requirements. All in all the visit with Omni was a really cool experience, the lab is sweet, the guys are allot of fun and I look forward to my time on the bench.
          One of the changes I effected after visiting the lab was to create a one piece air shutter which gave me perfect metering of both primary and secondary air, so I can shut off one or both air "circuits" keeping the lower combustion chamber at a temperature low enough for gasification, while allowing the upper chamber to burn at a much higher rate with more air, it also allows for the development of a third burn zone on the very top of the unit. I really am not yet sure if this will be necessary as we are burning so clean with out it.

              Thanks for asking.

                 Roger.