[Stoves] Use of preheated air for forging with wood.

Carefreeland at aol.com Carefreeland at aol.com
Fri Aug 5 09:39:15 CDT 2011

Stovers,
    The following is a reply I sent on the wastewatts  list to someone,
describing how I can forge small pieces of iron while heating  my greenhouse.
In the previous letter I was describing the very high  temperatures I reached
with natural draft. Something can be taken from this to  "warm up " some of
your colder operating stove designs and make them more  efficient. I don't
see the need for forcing the air with a blower if the proper  engineering is
done to enhance the natural draft.
    The stove mentioned is an old cross flow brick  lined coal/ wood stove
made from 1/4 inch plate steel. The incoming air ports  are in the cast iron
front door. I have had trouble describing this stove to  stove people in
the past. Paul Anderson has seen the stove but not in operation.  Heat is
scavenged from the afterburner. On a high burn during warm up phase, the
afterburner produces more heat than the stove itself. My plans are to put  preheat
tubes in the stove to enable warm air jets to make the low burn settings
more efficient. As the stove is configured now, unless I burn most of the
wood  down to charcoal, the stove is not so clean burning on low settings when
I leave  the greenhouse overnight.

    Hi Dan

Depending on the alloy,  Iron starts burning around 1,800-1,900°F -- you
will ruin your  work.

Reaching 2K°F or higher  is neither necessary nor a good thing for
blacksmithing -- I use a propane  forge (1,600°F) for 95% of my work and fire up the
coal forge only for  metallurgical reasons, never for temperature reasons.

Dave

Dave,
    I usually hit the high notes while warming up the  burner on very windy
zero degree F nights. Oak planks from skids or  equivalent kindling burn
the hottest. Then as the stove burns down to coals I  use the char bed to heat
my forging work. On a typical night the draft is not  enough to reach those
very high temperatures. Adding length to the chimney would  enable better
draft on less windy nights. Remember that this stove is heating a
greenhouse, so the primary purpose is to maximize the BTU output, not  temperature.
Forging is just an added feature, recycling the heat.
    Those temperatures are only on the surface of the  charcoal bed with
some wood there and the door closed. The closed door enables  the primary air
preheating to take place as the air coming through the ports in  the door
passes over a hot brick. There is too much draft with the door open to
maintain that heat at the surface. Therefore unless my piece is small enough to
close the door, I bury it in the surface of the char bed which is a nice
stable bright red to orange heat. If I want an oxygenizing flame, I use the
surface of the charcoal and rotate the work but it is cooler.
    One of the reasons I get such good natural draft I  believe, is because
of the afterburner set up. As the flue gasses turn up into  the vertical 6"
well casing secondary air is introduced, causing a swirl. As hot  secondary
combustion takes place, the stove pipe expands from 6" to 8" diameter  five
feet up. This expansion causes additional suction. By allowing additional
room at this key point, the expanding gasses do not have to create back
pressure  on the draft. The combusting flue gasses accelerate vertically as in a
turbojet  combustion chamber. That is what creates the signature howl in
the tube.
    There is a baffle inside the stove box that re  circulates the
combustion gasses over the fuel bed until they are hot enough to  be sucked out the
horizontal exhaust pipe. The thick steel exhaust pipe is in  the hottest
part of the stove, acting like a gasifier throat. The partially  combusted
gasses crack and reduce to lowest terms such as H. CH 4 and CO. These  hot ions
are prime for rapid complete combustion when cold, dense secondary air  is
introduced.
    The funniest thing was I put a firebrick in the  front of the stove box
to hold more ashes and charcoal from falling out.  The day I did that I
burned the wrought iron retainer out by accident. That was  when I realized
that I had created a open hearth like checker, which was  preheating the
incoming air very efficiently. It's like putting a brick in the  toilet tank to
save water.
    Never know how you will find the next  breakthrough.

    Dan Dimiduk