[Stoves] Jatropha and its future

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 23:35:46 CDT 2011

Dear Roger

The glycerine-as-fuel is interesting. There is a lot of glycerine produced
in the oil pumping business - it sticks to the inside of the pipes. What
happen to it these days? Vaseline was developed to get rid of it at a
profit!

If it is cheap (might not be) it can be 'canned' like ethanol gel. Ethanol
does not have a very high heat content (hence the poor mileage cars
currently get compared with real gasoline). Watered-down ethanol is pretty
crummy. James Robinson at the SeTAR Centre has seem some at 18 MJ/Litre or
even less. Prof Philip Lloyd was running a stove on a fuel that had so much
water in it, it was condensing on the underside of the pot and dripped so
much it extinguished the fire!! Ha ha!

So what is the heat content of glycerine? How much does it cost? Where does
it come from? Is there much available? What is the melting temperature?

Philip: what is the vapour pressure and so on? Have you ever tried burning
it? [Philip reads this list.]

Most alcohol burning stoves are terrible - that is my biased assessment.
They are usually choked to death near the evaporation zone and have very
short flame spaces, followed by too much air supply, yielding a smelly burn
- smelling like partly burned gel compound. We test quite a number of them.
There is a belief that if the fuel is ethanol, the emissions are inherently
low, which is not true. The emissions are potentially low because the fuel
is usually pretty good, but emissions are produced by the stove+fuel
combination. If the burner is poorly constructed, it's gonna smell.

You know those little pots of flame under the vegetables at the restaurant
buffet? Terrible combustion efficiency. Lotsa CO.