[Stoves] A heat-resistant insulation mix

Fireside Hearth firesidehearthvashon at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 10 10:35:00 CDT 2011

> Hey everyone,
>
> Roger said: "is your space between the walls sealed enough that you might be
> able to use plain old sand? Is sand available to you plentifully enough?"
> I'm afraid it is not fully sealed, we try to have a plain and nice-looking
> welding, but there are often a few holes left. It is not totally hermetic.
> Sand is available, even if the government has forbidden sandpits on the
> coast, it was causing coastal erosion.
> Is sand that good an insulation? I always heard it was too dense ... I think

Hello Xavier....

        I don't know where you are, or what is available to you....nor your budget. My preference would be the kao wool insulating blanket which can be ordered from stove suppliers readily here in the states......and to us seems pretty inexpensive. The 1" thick stuff is rated for 2100.deg f. It is light weight and a ceramic fiber type wool if you will. It is a key component in my stove for the purpose of reflecting heat back at the inner liner. If your stove is not portable and you could trap the sand between the walls of your stove, this might just be enough insulating to do what you need, and temperature should not do to it what it did to the clay/sawdust mix. I am sure there are more ways than this, I was just trying to think up something that might be plentiful, free, and easy.