[Stoves] A heat-resistant insulation mix

Fireside Hearth firesidehearthvashon at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 13 09:36:24 CDT 2011

Good morning Xavier....

       Thanks for sharing these pics. I am wondering if you might have more rock wool available to you than you are aware of. Maybe not where you are, but here many older structures which are bieng torn down have bunches of the stuff going to land fills.....it would be a good start. After looking at your pics I have a thought. You might be able to make your oven into what my stove is...... a gasifier on the bottom and a reburner on the top. A loading door which seals tightly could be put on the face, with an adjustable air inlet to controll primary burn rate, would be an easy modification. Then just above the fire....maybe 1/3 the distance from the bottom to the top of your overall height.....install three steel plates with holes drilled in them so that all of the smoke and flame are forced through these holes. The plates would be one atop the other with about 2-3 cm between them using metal scrap as spacers to hold the plates apart. Holes would be drilled through the side walls (maybe 3 per side with a 2 cm diameter) just under the 3 plates. Once the stove is brought up to temp (300 deg c) you could start closing down the primary air inlet to cause the fire to burn slower. The hot metal plates would cause ignition of the fresh air mixed with the gasses from your primary fire. As the holes in the metal plates would cause allot of turbulence you would have a rapid fire through these plates. This is basically how we have gotten smoke free burns using WAY WAY WAY less fuel in our stove. You are welcome to contact me directly and  might be able to generate some basic drawings (very basic) which you could most likely work out with your welder friend. I built something like this while living on a boat with no money and just a pile of scrap metal to work with. I use less than half the wood as the stove I built without the double combustion system (plates).....have fun, Roger
firesidehearthvashon at hotmail.com