[Stoves] re Charcoal in Gambia/ WorldStove char in Rwanda

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 05:42:41 CDT 2011

On Sunday 14 August 2011 02:20:23 Fireside Hearth wrote:
> Maybe even there should be a new list for the arguing of bio
> char.....and let the stove list be for stoves which create less
> controversy, I don't know.

Richard and Bridget

There are four lists set up by the owner of this [stoves] bioenergylist to
discuss various aspects of biochar.

biochar at yahoogroups.com
biochar-policy at yahoogroups.com
Biochar-production at yahoogroups.com
biochar-soils at yahoogroups.com

There will be others and web based forums too.

There is some inevitable crossover when those stoves which produce a char
residue are discussed.

What I would like to avoid on [stoves] is discussion on the wider (global)
pollution and strategic economic issues. Local air pollution and resource
depletion will be relevant, as will any local economic or agronomic
benefit of biochar produced from these stoves.

As we have seen there is disagreement at the strategic level but I think
Crispin (who I also would like to count as a friend from our
correspondence over the years even if our conclusions may differ) was
wrong to take personally things that Ronal and Paal said. Inevitably as
this is a stoves oriented group there is less expertise on biochar here,
Crispin ventured comments about biochar which Paal and Ronal felt the
need to respond to lest an unbalance view was left dominant. Had Crispin
been subscribed to a biochar list more would have been said.

There are a number of posters to [stoves] who see no merit in biochar, A D
Karve because he sees no increase in plant productivity being one and of
course Crispin who cannot understand the loss of energy to the cooking
process, especially as he is working with coal burning stoves where the
coal is necessarily largely carbon dug from the ground.

My current [stoves] related take on this is:

TLUD (and possibly other char producing stoves) produce less sooty
particulates, because they produce an energy rich, easily combusted
flame, compared with currently available conventional biomass cook
stoves. They are thus capable of reducing indoor air pollution which
demonstrably shortens lives. They need some different understanding and
instruction to use which may be difficult, they are more expensive than
three stone fires and there is/may be cultural reasons why they are not
adopted. Even in developed counties there was a 50 year period before the
bulk of the population would accept cigarette smoking was an economic and
health problem enough to restrict an individuals right to smoke where it
affected the public, so it's a long road.

There may be economic AND/OR agronomic gains by adding char to soil,
agronomic benefits have been demonstrated in some circumstances and there
is long term evidence that soils with large amounts of recalcitrant
carbon ( probably derived from pyrolised biomass) have developed and
maintained physical properties that enhance a plants access to vital
chemicals. There is little doubt that soil contains a vast amount of
sequestered carbon and recalcitrant carbon persists for millennia. I am
firmly optimistic that there are long term benefits to using char from
char making stoves locally to amend soils and see little possibility of
harm from the practice. Many soils have had pyrolytic carbon in them from
wildfires in the past.

There is currently little other economic benefit a subsistence farmer can
gain from applying biochar to soil. Any non agronomic financial benefit
will have to be financed by those people that see the value in biochar,
have the money and probably have benefited from increasing atmospheric
CO2 historically. I'm firmly with Crispin in being sceptical of
governments ability to agree and equitably running carbon trading schemes
and like Crispin believe interventions like this are likely to have
unforeseen consequences. Personally, and not necessarily [stoves]
related, I would like to be able to reward the distributed sequestration
of char as an alternative to the export of a cash crop by a poor farmer.

I see intervention into the natural carbon cycle of photosynthesis,
growth, death, decay to CO2 by pyrolysis of biomass as being a benign
means of sequestering Carbon.

AJH